Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Memories…..

Since my husband had come so close to death, I asked him once if he remembers anything from the time he was unconscious.  Near death experience, white lights?  He doesn’t.  So I asked him what was his earliest memory of his stay in the hospital.  He really doesn’t remember much from nearly 3 months in the hospital except perhaps the last 2 weeks of his stay.  But he does recall one time when he woke up not being able to think in a language.  He said that all he knew was what was in front of him.  His mind was thinking in pictures. 

Way back when, while he was still on the respiratory unit, just before he was moved to the rehab unit, he did say Hi Maryann!  At the time I knew that he did not really know who I was.  It was just what the therapist was practicing with him.

One day I was running later than normal in the morning.  I called my brother in law to see if he was going to stop by the hospital right after work.  He was!  So I scrambled out the door and drove to the hospital.  (Although I made sure that I stopped for the coffee!)  As I came down the hall I could hear laughing coming from his room.  As I came in, my brother in law said that my husband had just said the funniest thing.  He asked my brother in law where the cute blond was who always came to his room.  He thought she was hot!  Too bad he’d only known her for 19 days!  We had been married for nearly 28 years at the time.  It became part of our routine.  Everyday someone would ask him how long he’s known me for and by golly he would add 1 day to the number of days that he thought he knew me for.  We still laugh about it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment