Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cubs vs. Sox

We are from Chicago.  Northsiders to be exact!  I grew up with a father who was a passionate Cubs fan.  He lived and breathed the Cubs.  Then I met my husband, who to my father’s utter chagrin was a White Sox fan.  (They truly liked each other; they just didn’t understand the other’s choice of baseball teams!)  My husband turned me and then handed down his love of the White Sox to his children.  We were one big happy White Sox family!  When they won the World Series in 2005, there was none more over the moon than my husband.  Sadly, my father never lived long enough to have my husband be able to gloat about this wondrous event to him.

But that was OK because my husband’s brother was a Cubs fan and this adversary was good enough!  Again, we were Northsiders and more than three quarters of the baseball fans in our area are Cubs fans.  So there were enough of them to be able to rub it in their noses that the White Sox won the World Series.

However, hell hath no fury like a Cubs’ fan scorned!  Ah, it was payback.  When so many people are under so much distress and you are in one confined area for so long a period of time, you start to get a little silly.  Even with the most seriousness of the situation, there comes a time when silliness wins over seriousness.  And my husband’s brothers have a bit of prankster in them; as did my husband; as did half the people in that waiting room.   They decided that if my husband was unconscious now there was a good chance that he would never remember that he was a White Sox fan when he regained consciousness.  So they all hatched a plan to turn him into a Cubs fan.  So being coaxed on by the Cubs’ fans, they decided to sneak into the SCIU room where my husband was, with a Cubs’ jersey and hat and dress my husband in it and take a picture.   Figuring when he came to they would show him the picture and remind him of how he was a Cubs’ fan. 

So the day came.  They had their equipment and put their plan into action.  Hell, even the SCIU nurse that day had on Cubs’ scrubs.  They got him dressed and took the picture.

Sad to say though, when my husband eventually regained consciousness, he happily remained a White Sox fan!  It was the one thing that he could remember very well!

No comments:

Post a Comment